Thursday, May 29, 2014

Different cultures, hard communication. Same cultures, harder communication



Maybe there is not theory which tells us about it, but it's a reality that I noted last weekend when I was working and an asian girl attended to my work to buy something to eat. She told me something in japanesse maybe (I don't know) and as she noted that I haven't undertood anything, she told me something like "yo quiere eso", and what I answered was "eso ¿qué?", so she pointed out to me something in the board and then I understood what she wanted to say and I felt bad, because maybe she also felt bad trying to comunicate without can do it and I couldn't help her too much.





With this, I noted that the comunication is hard for foreing people who come from another place without to know the language. However, there are a lot of people that help them with it, but in the other hand, there are people that don't help them and make a lot of laugh about their comunication's problem.






Also, I started to think "it happens with people with the same language everytime", but in a different way. We have problems with it, and it's because we have different points of view about things, but we don't consider it, being something that we should do. We discuss about everything and we don't think "what is he/she trying to xplain?".





Finally, I think it's something that we can change easily. So, start thinking about other thinkings, and don't make reviews without knowledge... 

Here there's a clear example of it, watch it, you are going to laugh a lot (I hope)  

  
I hope you like it, please comment and make me happy :)



                      Make different things to see changes, don't stay where you                            are because things are going to be the same.

9 comments:

  1. I have to confess that it was funny so I watched the second episode hahahaha.
    I think that we don't have to mock of someone because they don't know how to speak REALLY GOOOOOOD our language. Instead of it we have to help them, as you mentioned. Probably,if we go abroad we wouldn't know how to explain many things and we like to the people help us.

    Your post is really interesting .. I liked it very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really funny!!! ^^ this is one of the most funny entries. I have watched the second episode too ^^ jajajjaja
    It's true, this is a language problem, but we can change this ^^ If we teach the language importance, our students will understand this problem and they will be carefully with this problem, also they would learn an idiom, and this would be very good for us, and foreign people.
    But, always we have a second key: Body comunication, with moves, we can make understand to other people what are we saying, needing or wanting.
    I found a video about how to communicate in a country where you know the bassic of the language (say hello, thank you, goodbye):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttmGMxnba20

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your post, It was very funny. I totally agree with you, communication problems are everywhere. In my opinion everyonw should learn english (universale idiom) so everyone can talk to each other. Maybe the girl you met, actually knew english, but because of the image we have abroad she might think that you don't know english so she had to do that. I agree with Maria Isabel's post. As English teachers we have to highlight the importance of english in our future students, but I don't think that body communication is a key, We must learn english, so we can talk to everybody and that kind of problems wouldn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. As you said, when you meet a foreign person who is trying to ask or tell us something in another language, the best option is try to speak with him/her in English, I learnt it when I worked as a waitress in a restaurant close to the port of Valparaíso. In addition, as future teachers of English, it is a good speaking practice and eventually, it gives us more confidence and fluency in this skill.

      Delete
  5. First of all that kitten is so cute *-*. As"Gringolandia" shows us be in a foreign country it´s hard but also if there are people who wants to help you the comunication is easier...two persons that talk in different languages can´t comunicate unless they want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. some time ago, I met two guys in Castro, Chiloé. They were german, and talked to me so fast in German!! :((((((( I had no idea what to do, and some minutes after that, we tried to talk with facial gestures and hands, that was funny, we stayed 3 days together and also we had a party. I really think that the most useful skill that we have to develop to understand any culture are the gestures.

    I know a man who talk with a german woman all the time with gestures, and he is Chilean, she treats him like a son!! They are lovely (Except the woman who is a little deaf and I always tought that she is angry)

    Nice post, cheers!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a very good entry,the same happened to me when I worked as a waiter, i had to attend to a Canadian woman, but she only spoke French, she asked me what was eating ( i think ) and the only way that i could say to her, it was through signs, I felt very bad because she was not very happy with what was happening. So...after all this embarrasing moment, I RUN AWAY ! ...naa, that's a lie, i just laughed a lot, and also i made joke about it. LTG FOR LIFE !

    ReplyDelete